Skip to main content

Delhi Traffic

This morning I opened the paper to read that our killer bluelines have claimed their 97th victim this year. And while driving to work, as I turned the corner from my house a speeding car, driving on the wrong side of the road rammed into my much scraped and battered car.

On a normal day I would have cursed my luck, then proceeded to argue and insist that the other driver pay for the damage. Today my mood was different. The activist in me screamed - do something, anything, don't let him get off the hook.

And as the other driver started his little speech my resolve to do the right thing grew."Madam, in the last 20 years I have hit several cars. These things happen on Delhi Roads. I am sure you too must have hit people while driving." Is this guy for real? does he hear what he is saying?

"Madam, I did not hit your car intentionally. It just happened. I am sure it has happened with you too. Its happened with my wife so often." Are these police walas hearing what he is saying. Is anyone recording these statements?

The PCR van arrived and the policeman heard me out and said, "Madam why don't you adjust with the gentleman. You have a choice to either reach a compromise, or then spend the next few years waiting for the judge's verdict!" I suggested that the least he could do is challan the gentleman for driving on the wrong side of the road. "Madam we cannot do that. Only traffic policeman can do that." I called 100 and told them it was a traffic problem. Why are they here if they cant do anything about a traffic violation!!!

The traffic policeman who had witnessed the entire sequence of events was then called. He said, "I can't do anything, I didn't see anything. My duty is to to clear the road of traffic when the Lt Governor drives past." I wish I was a VIP too, I'd have reached office by now.

The policeman from the Vasant Vihar Police station arrived and pulled out a clean white sheet of paper and started noting down the numbers of the cars, and our names. Then he looked at me and said. "OK madam, bring your car to the police station, I will impound both cars and then you can call insurance. Once the formalities are completed you can get a court order to have your car released." Hello! What did I do? I was driving according to all the road rules. Why would I need any sort of impoundment and court orders!!!

So then i did what I should have done in the first place. I got into my car and drove off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gurugram Aunty gets Rapped

So one Gurugram based aunty first slut shamed a young girl for wearing a short dress and then clutched on to a couple of yellow smiley cushions as she was chased through a department store by the same bunch of girls whom she tried to police with her narrow-minded vision. While watching the eye-witness video I couldn't take my eyes off those yellow cushions and was distracted enough to miss bits of the conversation - but I did catch the general drift. Auntyji told a girl off for wearing short clothes and equated it with an open invitation to get raped. She then compounded her colossal stupidity by inviting bystander men to rape her. The girl and her friends then chased aunty through a shop (that sells smiley cushions) asking for an apology. Clutching her cushions the aunty ran down one aisle, then another, as the young girls chased after her demanding that apology. Then before you knew it a bystander mother had added her voice to the scene. And that my dear friends is when th

For the DIY traveller in delhi

Once you reach the metro station at Central secratariat, buy a ticket for chandni chowk. Like any self-respecting time capsule our modern day wonder - the spotlessly clean, state of the art metro will deposit you into another century. Step across the sleeping sadhu, walk past the Kali temple, skirt the electric station duisguised as an ancient, if rather grimy, ant hill and you will hit a path that is blocked by several rikshaw pullers. The most agile one will leap over the others and offer to take you for a chandni chowk ride. Jama masjid, jain temple, ghalib ki haveli, dariba kallan, paranthe wale gali, kinari bazaar, red fort and back all for just Rs 100. and if you say yes to that you are being generous. He expects you to bargain him down to at least Rs 80. As you climb into your rickshaw be prepared for the colours, smells, sights and ofcourse the people. More people than you have ever seen before. All of them jostling, and elbowing their way to do whatever they have come to chand

Why did this rape make more noise than the others

Statistics say that every hour 2 women are raped in India. Surely this number can in no way explain why the Bus rape case has attracted so much attention. Delhites were up in arms. Newspapers were full of every juicy titbit that they could search out. Newsreaders went ballistic, panelists screamed out their points of view on every channel. The youth took to the streets and were burning public property and the police were having a field day, water cannoning and lathi charging the protesters. So my question is: Why was this rape different from the others? Rapes more dastardly that this one have happened before. A quick google search reveals an endless list of high profile rape cases. Kashmir Kunan Poshpora incident (1991) Shopian rape and murder case (2009) Kerala Suryanelli rape case (1996) Kiliroor Sex Scandal (2003) Maharashtra Aruna Shanbaug case (1973) Jalgaon rape case (circa 1982-1994) Mathura rape case (1974-1981) Tulasa Thapa (1982) Manipur Thang