Skip to main content

Do you bargain with your sabziwalla


It must be embedded in my dna - the instinct to bargain for anything I buy from a vendor. It's as though I think he has no right to earn any profits!

I go vegetable shopping and I ask the sabziwalla - how much for the onions? He says, "20 rupees a kilo." And I go - "I'll give you 15".

Or he says, "madam your bill is 138 rupees" and I say, "here's 130".

I don't bother about his working conditions, I don't worry that he may not have money to pay his children's school fees. I saunter away feeling very pleased. I saved 8 rupees.

Then, on another day when I walk into a Reliance Store to buy rations a reverse action happens. And it has happened often - My bill is 2154.55 rupees and I walk out paying 2155. I gave 45 paise extra and I am still not thinking about the owner of this retail chain.

Surely - Just the electricity used to keep his multi story eyesore home in Mumbai running could light up the lives of all the vegetable vendors in our city.

Comments

Anonymous said…
noteworthy Alpna... and there are millions who do pay an extra 30 or 45paise at the retail store... just adding to his profits. while we keep bargaining 20-50 rs with our local sabziwala. Watta shame

Popular posts from this blog

Do you pay the beggars

At a random red light in New Delhi, during peak traffic, with windows rolled up and airconditioning on full blast, I am suddenly confronted with a face unwashed. She peers at me through my drivers window. Her hair is matted, her clothes are rags and her blackened fingrnails beat a tattoo on the pane. I scrounge around in my bag for a few coins. "You aren't going to give her that!" scolds my driving companion. Beggars are just lazy good for nothing so and so's. Ask her to come to your house to work for a days meal and see how fast she'll go away. But why should a 6 year old leave familiar surroundings and climb into a strange ladies car to wash her dishes to earn a meal?? Surely she has survived life on the streets because she knows better than that. Besides, wouldn't that be child labour? It puzzles me. Why do we look at beggars as lazy good for nothings. Dodging killer bluelines all day, dashing between unpredictable bikes and scooters, inhaling diesel ...

For the DIY traveller in delhi

Once you reach the metro station at Central secratariat, buy a ticket for chandni chowk. Like any self-respecting time capsule our modern day wonder - the spotlessly clean, state of the art metro will deposit you into another century. Step across the sleeping sadhu, walk past the Kali temple, skirt the electric station duisguised as an ancient, if rather grimy, ant hill and you will hit a path that is blocked by several rikshaw pullers. The most agile one will leap over the others and offer to take you for a chandni chowk ride. Jama masjid, jain temple, ghalib ki haveli, dariba kallan, paranthe wale gali, kinari bazaar, red fort and back all for just Rs 100. and if you say yes to that you are being generous. He expects you to bargain him down to at least Rs 80. As you climb into your rickshaw be prepared for the colours, smells, sights and ofcourse the people. More people than you have ever seen before. All of them jostling, and elbowing their way to do whatever they have come to chand...

Memories with my Dad.

I am sitting on his shoulders as he strides towards some unknown destination. Happy to just go wherever he is taking me. At some point he wants me to start walking with him. I protest and he holds my hand and coaxes me into walking. I am holding a paper bag full of goodies we enter a hospital room and my mom is there with my newborn brother. We are at a picnic and he is looking mad because an uncle does not want us kids to eat pakoras while sitting in his new Fiat car. It's a cold winter night and the whole family is cuddled up in razais. We are chatting, arguing, laughing, fighting. His voice is always the loudest and his laughter is the most infectious. Bedtime stories are his experiences of the partition and the Korean war where he was part of the Red Cross Medical Corps. We are in the front garden of our Chanakya Puri house, its a holiday and he decides to race my brother and me. We laugh more and run slow. Aunty B regales us with her stories of going on shikars and sh...